Tina Rupert clinched the match for Houston
March 5, 2014
HOUSTON--- The Cougars came out and made a strong statement in their conference opener, as they blanked Temple 4-0, Wednesday afternoon out at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts
Houston (9-2, 1-0 The American) led from start to finish, as Despoina Vogasari and Elena Kordolaimi teamed up to defeat Temple's Mariana Bedon and Minami Okajima in dominating fashion, 8-2 on court one.
Moments later Celia Fraser and Rocio Martin recorded a convincing 8-5 victory on court two to clinch the doubles point for the Cougars.
With UH already up 1-0, Vogasari came through from the No. 1 spot, earning a straight set, 6-0, 6-2 victory over Alica Doms to extend the Cougar lead to 2-0.
Sophomore Rocio Martin then followed suit from the No. 5 position, blowing past Mariana Bedon in consecutive sets, 6-2, 6-0, to put the Cougars on the brink of victory.
Then freshman Tina Rupert put things away, defeating Minami Okajima, 6-1, 6-2, to clinch the match victory for the Cougars. Rupert has now represented the clinching point in three of Houston's last four wins.
With the Cougars already up 4-0, both coaches agreed to cut the match short.
Houston will play its first doubleheader of the year this Saturday, when it takes on conference foe Connecticut at 10:00 a.m. CT, before it plays Tyler Junior College at 2:00 p.m. CT that same day. Both matches will be held at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts.
No. 21 Houston 4, Temple 0
- Despoina Vogasari (HOU) def. Alicia Doms (TEMPLE) 6-0, 6-2
- Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) vs. Yana Mavrina (TEMPLE) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
- Celia Fraser (HOU) vs. Dina Karina (TEMPLE) 5-7, 0-1, unfinished
- Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Minami Okajima (TEMPLE) 6-1, 6-2
- Rocio Martin (HOU) def. Mariana Bedon (TEMPLE) 6-2, 6-0
- Dionne Sanders (HOU) vs. Rebecca Breland (TEMPLE) 3-6, 1-4, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1,5,4*
- Despoina Vogasari/Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Mariana Bedon/Minami Okajima (TEMPLE) 8-2
- Celia Fraser/Rocio Martin (HOU) def. Dina Karina/Rebecca Breland (TEMPLE) 8-5
- Alicia Doms/Yana Mavrina (TEMPLE) vs. Tina Rupert/Dionne Sanders (HOU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,2,3