March 8, 2014
HOUSTON--- The Cougars couldn't have asked for a better Saturday afternoon, as they swept their doubleheader, earning a 4-0 win over American Athletic Conference rival UConn before taking down Tyler Junior College later in the day, 5-0, out at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts.
The wins extended Houston's (11-2, 2-0 The American) win streak to a season-high tying four matches in a row, as it's now shutout opponents in three straight outings.
Match One- No. 21 Houston 4, UConn 0
The Cougars left no doubt in this one, as it sprung ahead early, after Maria Cardenas and Tina Rupert teamed up to earn a convincing 8-3 win over UConn's Maxene Weinberg and Emma Alderman.
Despoina and Elena Kordolaimi then followed suit, as the tandem grinded out an 8-6 victory on court one to clinch the doubles point for Houston.
With the Cougars already up 1-0, freshman Tina Rupert gave her squad all the momentum it would need, making quick work of Lucy Nutting from the No. 4 spot, winning in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1 to sport Houston the 2-0 advantage.
Houston kept rolling from there, as Cardenas defeated Weinberg , 6-0, 6-2 on court three to put the Cougars on the verge of victory, up 3-0.
Then Vogasari came through as usual, taking down Srna Stosljevic from the No. 1 spot, 6-2, 6-2, to clinch the match for Houston.
Due to the doubleheader situation the match was stopped early, with the Cougars winning by the final of 4-0.
No. 21 Houston 4, UConn 0
- Despoina Vogasari (HOU) def. Srna Stosljevic (UCONN) 6-2, 6-2
- Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) vs. Emma Alderman (UCONN) 6-2, 2-4, unfinished
- Maria Cardenas (HOU) def. Maxene Weinberg (UCONN) 6-0, 6-2
- Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Lucy Nutting (UCONN) 6-1, 6-1
- Charlotte Phillips (HOU) vs. Shea Flanagan (UCONN) 6-3, 3-1, unfinished
- Rocio Martin (HOU) vs. Jennifer Learmonth (UCONN) 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
Order of Finish:4,3,1*
- Despoina Vogasari/Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Srna Stosljevic/Lucy Nutting (UCONN) 8-6
- Maria Cardenas/Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Maxene Weinberg/Emma Alderman (UCONN) 8-3
- Jennifer Learmonth/Marie Gargiulo (UCONN) def. Rocio Martin/Charlotte Phillips (HOU) 8-7
Order of Finish: 2,13
Match Two- No. 21 Houston 5, Tyler Junior College 0
The Cougars went up against the top-ranked junior college team in the nation in the second leg of Saturday's doubleheader, but it was Houston that quickly proved why it's ranked among the best in Division I.
Houston won the doubles point for a third consecutive match, as Rocio Martin and Charlotte Philips teamed up to win 8-3 on court three while Maria Cardenas and Tina Rupert took care of business on court two, 8-6, to give the Cougars the early 1-0 lead.
Houston's hot play didn't stop in singles play, as junior Elena Kordolaimi came through from the No. 2 position, earning a 6-0, 6-2 straight set win to put the Cougars in front 2-0.
Cardenas finished off her successful day with a 6-1, 6-0 win from the three spot, before Martin clinched the match for the Cougars with a 6-1, 6-0 victory on court five.
With the match already clinched, freshman Despoina Vogasari cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win from the No. 1 spot, as she improved to 16-4 overall in singles play this season.
Both coaches agreed to stop the match short, brining the final to 5-0.
No. 21 Houston 5, Tyler Junior College 0
- Despoina Vogasari (HOU) def. Pietersz (TYLER) 6-2, 6-1
- Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. DeWet (TYLER) 6-0, 6-2
- Maria Cardenas (HOU) def. Reynard (TYLER) 6-1, 6-0
- Charlotte Phillips (HOU) vs. Murdock (TYLER) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
- Rocio Martin (HOU) def. Wiegard (TYLER) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2,3,5*,1
- Despoina Vogasari/Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) vs. Pietersz/Savva (TYLER) 5-4, unfinished
- Maria Cardenas/Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Murdock/Reynard (TYLER) 8-6
- Rocio Martin/Charlotte Phillips (HOU) def. DeWet/Wiegard (TYLER) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2
After going a perfect 4-0 on the homestand, the Cougars will head to Salt Lake City for yet another ranked road test, when they take on No. 44 Utah, Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. CT.