Maja Kazimieruk continued her stellar season, improving to 13-2 in singles play on Wednesday
March 13, 2013
PISCATAWAY, N.J. - The University of Houston women's tennis team was outlasted by Rutgers in a 4-3 decision on Wednesday afternoon in Piscataway, N.J., to drop to 10-5 overall this season and 5-3 in road matches.
"We played well at several spots but couldn't hold leads at others and really let this one slip out of our hands," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "Our effort and attitude were good and we continue to improve, but championship teams don't let opponents hang around when they have a chance to put them away. Today we did that in both singles & doubles and it cost us the match."
The two teams opened singles play first and the Cougars jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the match as Elena Kordolaimi posted a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Vanessa Petrini at the top spot and Charlotte Phillips followed with a 6-0, 6-1 rout of Mariam Zein at the No. 5 position.
Rutgers' Noor Judeh answered with a straight-sets win over Jo Garvey at the No. 6 position to pull to within one game at 2-1, but Maja Kazimieruk topped Stefania Balasa at the No. 4 spot by a score of 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 to improve to 13-2 this spring and put the Cougars on the verge of clinching the match.
The Scarlet Knights battled back to claim wins at the remaining two singles positions in three sets, setting up a decisive doubles round.
The Houston tandem of Celia Fraser and Kazimieruk led off with a convincing 8-1 win over Balasa and Balsamo at the No. 3 spot, but the Cougars dropped the remaining two matches, including a tiebreaker at the No. 2 spot.
Houston returns home to play host to Western Michigan at 11 a.m., on Friday at John E. Hoff Courts.
Rutgers 4, Houston 3
1. Elena Kordolaimi (UH) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Gina Li (RU) def. Celia Fraser (UH), 0-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Stefania Balasa (RU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Charlotte Phillips (UH) def. Mariam Zein (RU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Noor Judeh (RU) def. Jo Garvey (UH), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,5,6,4,3,2
1. Petrini/Li (RU) def. Martin Fernandez/Phillips (UH), 8-6
2. Kayati/Zein (RU) def. Garvey/Kordolaimi (UH), 8-7 (6)
3. Fraser/Kazimieruk (UH) def. Balasa/Balsamo (RU), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,1,2*