Celia Fraser (left) and Maja Kazimieruk (right) improved to 11-2 together in doubles play on Friday
March 15, 2013
HOUSTON - The University of Houston women's tennis team opened the first of five-straight home matches with a resounding 7-0 victory over Western Michigan on Friday afternoon at John E. Hoff Courts to improve to 11-5 this season and 6-2 in home contests.
"We're a young team and we're going to make mistakes, but the one thing we've been good about is bouncing back from losses," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "We're a pretty resilient group and today I was really proud of the effort and enthusiasm they came out with after a disappointing loss. I think this Western Michigan team is every bit as good as the Rutgers team we lost to, but we just handled the situation a lot better. I was especially proud of Elena and Rocio for fighting it out in their matches when the overall match had been decided."
The Cougars were dominant from the start, as Celia Fraser and Maja Kazimieruk led off doubles play with an 8-3 victory over King and Pastunink at the No. 3 spot to improve to 11-2 together this season, while Elena Kordolaimi and Jo Garvey followed up with an 8-0 blanking of Remynse and Sujashvili at the No. 2 position to clinch the opening point.
Fraser quickly put Houston up 2-0 in the match by dropping Maggie Remynse at the No. 2 singles spot by a score of 6-1, 6-1, while Dionne Sanders followed with a 6-2, 6-1 defeat of Hailey Shanahan at the No. 6 position to improve to 9-4 this spring and increase Houston's lead to 3-0.
Charlotte Phillips recorded her third-straight victory with a 6-1, 6-1 rout of Kelsey King at the No. 5 spot to clinch the match and Kazimieruk quickly followed with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Caroline Aleck to improve to a team-best 14-2 this season.
With the match decided, Kordolaimi and Rocio Martin Fernandez grinded out their matches at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions, respectively, in the super tiebreaker to close out the sweep.
The Cougars return to action to host UALR at 11 a.m., on Wednesday at the Hoff Courts.
Houston 7, Western Michigan 0
1. Elena Kordolaimi (UH) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU), 6-1, 6-7(4), 1-0 (6)
2. Celia Fraser (UH) def. Maggie Remynse (WMU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU), 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (9)
4. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Charlotte Phillips (UH) def. Kelsey King (WMU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Dionne Sanders (UH) def. Hailey Shanahan (WMU), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2,6,5*,4,1,3
1. Phillips/Martin Fernandez (UH) vs. Aleck/Hawkins (WMU), 6-2, DNF
2. Kordolaimi/Garvey (UH) def. Remynse/Sujashvili (WMU), 8-0
3. Fraser/Kazimieruk (UH) def. King/Pastunink (WMU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2*