March 20, 2013
HOUSTON - The University of Houston women's tennis team weathered windy conditions to post a 6-1 rout of UALR on Wednesday afternoon at John E. Hoff Courts. The Cougars claimed their fourth win in the past five matches to improve to 12-5 overall this season.
"I've played UALR almost every year that I've coached and they're always a tough team," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "They played a very good doubles round, and that was a little bit more about them being tough instead of us doing anything wrong. It can be hard to keep your focus when you have a highly-ranked team looming ahead on the schedule, but I was happy to see us take care of business when we had to."
The Houston doubles tandem of Celia Fraser and Maja Kazimieruk held off a late rally to take the opening match by a score of 8-6 at the No. 3 spot and improve to 12-2 this spring, while Rocio Martin Fernandez and Charlotte Phillips outlasted UALR's duo of McShane and Luksich by a score of 8-6 at the top spot to clinch the opening point.
Dionne Sanders quickly put Houston ahead 2-0 in the match by blanking Michaela McShane 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 6 position, and Kazimieruk reeled off her fifth-straight victory in 6-0, 6-2 fashion at the No. 4 spot to increase her team-leading record to 15-2 in dual action.
Martin Fernandez sealed Houston's 12th victory of the season at the No. 3 spot, prevailing over Viktoriya Plyuta by a score of 6-2, 6-2 to improve to 12-4 this season.
Fraser and Phillips outlasted their opponents at the No. 2 and No. 5 positions, respectively, in three sets to round out the scoring for the Cougars.
Houston returns to action this weekend when it meets No. 33 TCU at 1 p.m., on Saturday and William and Mary at 11 a.m., on Sunday. Both matches will be played at Houston Country Club located on 1 Potomac Drive.
HOUSTON 6, UALR 1
1. Martin Fernandez/Phillips (UH) def. McShane/Luksich (UALR), 8-6
2. Kordolaimi/Garvey (UH) def. Vorster/Amsallem (UALR), 8-7
3. Fraser/Kazimieruk (UH) def. Plyuta/Galieva (UALR), 8-6
Order of Finish: 3,1*,2
1. Veronique Luksich (UALR) def. Elena Kordolaimi (UH), 6-2, 2-6, 1-0(8)
2. Celia Fraser (UH) def. Yana Kakovkina (UALR), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
3. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Viktoriya Plyuta (UALR), 6-2, 6-2
4. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Kamilla Galieva (UALR), 6-0, 6-2
5. Charlotte Phillips (UH) def. Dane Vorster (UALR), 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Dionne Sanders (UH) def. Michaela McShane (UALR), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6,4,3*,2,1,5