Tina Rupert clinched the match for Houston
March 21, 2014
DENTON, Texas--- The Cougars got back on the court for the first time in over a week, and the rest looked to have served them well, as Houston earned a convincing 4-0 shutout victory over Louisiana Tech on Friday.
For Houston (12-3), the win marked its sixth shutout win on the season, while the Cougars have managed to blank four of their last five opponents.
"Louisiana Tech is a very talented and well-coached team and the match was much closer than the score indicates," said head coach Patrick Sullivan. "We will turn right back around tomorrow and play a very tough SMU team.
"We're looking at this as preparation for the conference tournament in April, with the back-to-back format and level of competition being very similar to what we are seeing today and tomorrow."
The Cougars took control of this one right from the beginning, as the tandem of Despoina Vogasari and Elena Kordolaimi teamed up to earn their ninth doubles victory of the season, snatching a convincing 8-2 victory on court one.
Rocio Martin and Charlotte Phillips then quickly followed suite, winning their court three doubles matchup, 8-5, to clinch the overall doubles point for Houston.
With the Cougars up 1-0, Kordolaimi came up with a dominating, 6-3, 6-2 win from the No. 2 position over Marta Sramkova, to sport Houston a 2-0 advantage.
Then Vogasari put the Cougars on the brink of victory, as she came through from the No. 1 spot with a straight set, 7-5, 6-2 win over Louisiana Tech's Alexandra Starkova.
Tina Rupert followed up with convincing 7-5, 6-2 win over Manoela Chiacchio to put things away for Houston, as she's now clinched four of the last seven match victories for the Cougars.
Due to a prearranged agreement, the two sides agreed to cut the match short, but Celia Fraser led 6-1, 6-5 and Maria Cardenas held a 6-3, 5-5 advantage when the action was brought to a halt.
Martin was also in position to earn a victory on court six, as she was locked up in a close one with Taly Merker, at 6-2, 4-6, 1-1.
Houston will get right back to work tomorrow, when it heads over to Dallas to take on conference rival SMU at noon.
No. 24 Houston 4, Louisiana Tech 0
- #80 Despoina Vogasari (HOU) def. Alexandra Starkova (LT) 7-5, 6-2
- Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Marta Sramkova (LT) 6-3, 6-2
- Celia Fraser (HOU) vs. Jazmin Britos (LT) 6-1, 6-5, unfinished
- Maria Cardenas (HOU) vs. Melanie Urvoy (LT) 6-3, 5-5, unfinished
- Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Manoela Chiacchio (LT) 7-5, 6-2
- Rocio Martin (HOU) vs. Taly Merker (LT) 6-2, 4-6, 1-1, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2,1,5*
*Order of Finish
- Despoina Vogasari/Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Joanna Nalborska/Jazmin Britos (LT) 8-2
- Maria Cardenas/Tina Rupert (HOU) vs. Alexandra Starkova/Melanie Urvoy (LT) 6-6, unfinished
- Rocio Martin/Charlotte Phillips (HOU) def. Taly Merker/Manoela Chiacchio (LT) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,3