March 23, 2013
HOUSTON - The University of Houston women's tennis team dropped the first of two matches to ranked opponents this weekend in a 4-0 loss to No. 33 TCU on Saturday afternoon at Houston Country Club.
With the loss, Houston drops to 12-6 overall while TCU improves to 12-1 on the season.
"Although we lost the overall point, that was some of the best doubles we have played all year and definitely the most aggressively we have played," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "TCU is a very tough team that plays great doubles and just had a little more than we did when those top two matches were on the line.
"In the singles we looked good in a few spots and others we just didn't quite have enough today," Sullivan continued. "These are the kinds of matches we need as a program and though it's a tough result, you have to play great teams in order to beat great teams. We're fortunate to have a chance to turn right back around and play another top-ranked team in William & Mary. One of our best qualities as a team is how we rebound from losses and I'm looking forward to seeing how we respond tomorrow."
Celia Fraser and Maja Kazimieruk led off a very competitive doubles round with an 8-4 victory over TCU's Sirilova and Parajova at the No. 3 position, notching their 11th-straight win to improve to 13-2 together this spring.
At the time of Houston's opening doubles win, the Cougar duo of Rocio Martin Fernandez and Charlotte Phillips were tied 6-6 with the nation's 42nd-ranked tandem of Smith and Nichols, while Jo Garvey and Elena Kordolaimi trailed by just one (6-5) at the No. 2 position, but neither team would win another game as TCU claimed the opening point.
TCU acted quickly in singles play, posting straight-set victories at the No. 1, No. 3 and No. 6 positions to clinch the match.
After falling 6-0 in the first set to No. 79 Olivia Smith, Fraser battled back with a 6-3 win in the second set and was tied 1-1 in the third set when the match was called.
The Cougars return to action at 11 a.m., on Sunday against No. 44 William & Mary at Houston Country Club, located at 1 Potomac Drive.
For up-to-date results of Sunday's match, follow UHCougarTennis on Twitter.
#33 TCU 4, Houston 0
1. #42 Smith/Nichols (TCU) def. Martin Fernandez/Phillips (UH), 8-6
2. Sundarem/Tan (TCU) def. Garvey/Kordolaimi (UH), 8-5
3. Kazimieruk/Fraser (UH) def. Sirilova/Parajova (TCU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,2,1*
1. #65 Stefanie Tan (TCU) def. Elena Kordolaimi (UH), 6-1, 6-2
2. Celia Fraser (UH) vs. #79 Olivia Smith (TCU), 0-6, 6-3, 1-1, DNF
3. #104 Simona Parajova (TCU) def. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH), 6-1, 6-4
4. Millie Nichols (TCU) vs. Maja Kazimieruk (UH), 7-5, 3-2, DNF
5. Federica Denti (TCU) vs. Charlotte Phillips (UH), 6-2, 3-0, DNF
6. Monika Sirilova (TCU) def. Dionne Sanders (UH), 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6,1,3*