Despoina Vogasari clinched the match and earned her 19th victory
March 25, 2014
HOUSTON--- The Cougars showed up in a big way, as they cruised to a 7-0 victory over UAB, Tuesday afternoon out at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts, extending their current win streak to three straight matches.
For Houston (14-3), the win marks its seventh shutout victory of the season, while the Cougars also earned their 10th (10-1) home win of the season, which is already the most home victories for the Cougars since the 2007-08 campaign. The seven shutouts are also the most since the 2007-08 season.
UAB took the momentum early in this one, as it won the court three doubles matchup, 8-3, but not much would go right for the Blazers after that.
Despoina Vogasari and Elena Kordolaimi dug deep to rally from an early deficit, to claim the 8-5 doubles victory on court one, while Maria Cardenas and Tina Rupert followed suit, earning a convincing 8-2 win on court two to secure the doubles point for the Cougars.
With the Cougars up 1-0, Rupert looked as good as she has all season, defeating UAB's Catherine Ragon in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0 from the No. 5 position to sport Houston a 2-0 advantage.
Kordolaimi was just as dominant on court two, as she turned in a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Amy Lowther to put the Cougars on the brink of victory, up 3-0.
Then it was Vogasari who came through with the clinching point from the No. 1 spot, as she defeated Rachel Daniell, 6-2, 6-0 to earn her team-leading 19th victory of the season, and more importantly secure the win for Houston.
However, the Cougar dominance didn't stop there, as Phillips earned a 6-2, 6-1 victory on court six, while Cardenas turned in a 6-1, 6-2 win on court three to make it a 6-0 contest.
Senior Celia Fraser then finished things off with a gritty, 6-3, 5-7, 10-8 win on court four to complete the day's sweep.
The Cougars will get back to work this weekend, as they'll head east to take on Dartmouth, Friday at 4:00 p.m. CT, before completing the road swing at No. 37 Harvard, Sunday at 10:00 a.m. CT.
No. 24 Houston 7, UAB 0
- #80 Despoina Vogasari (HOU) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-2, 6-0
- Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-1, 6-0
- Maria Cardenas (HOU) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-1, 6-2
- Celia Fraser (HOU) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-3, 5-7, 10-8
- Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-1, 6-0
- Charlotte Phillips (HOU) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5,2,1*,6,3,4
- Despoina Vogasari/Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB) 8-5
- Maria Cardenas/Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Paula Castro/Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 8-2
- Catherine Ragon/Amy Lowther (UAB) def. Charlotte Phillips/Rocio Martin (HOU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2