Tina Rupert notched her first win from the No. 3 spot this season
March 30, 2014
CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--- It came down to the slimmest of margins, but a dramatic doubles point victory gave Harvard what it needed to secure a 4-3 win over Houston, Sunday afternoon at the Murr Tennis Center.
For Houston (15-4), the loss snaps what was a season-long equaling four-match win streak, as it falls to 4-2 in one-point decisions this season.
Sunday's affair was one of those matches where the drama was present right from the very beginning. Despoina Vogasari and Elena Kordolaimi teamed up to defeat Harvard's Monica Lin and Hannah Morill, 8-5 on court one, before the Crimson battled back to take court three and win a nail bitter on court two, as Spencer Liang and June Lee just edged out UH's Maria Cardenas and Tina Rupert, 8-7(5)
But as the Cougars have done all season long, they rallied in singles competition, as Vogasari immediately tied things up at 1-1, earning a dominating 6-2, 6-0 victory over Liang from the No. 1 position.
Shortly after, Kordolaimi gave Houston its first lead of the day at 2-1, as she took down Lin in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6(3), notching her fifth consecutive singles victory in the process.
However, Harvard then battled its way back, as it earned wins on courts four and six to regain the advantage at 3-2.
Charlotte Phillips did what she could to keep the Cougars alive, but in the end dropped a tough three-set match on court five (4-6, 6-2, 6-0), clinching the match for Harvard.
Tina Rupert clawed her way to a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win over June Lee to bring the match to the final of 4-3, as she won her first match from the No. 3 position this season and clinched her fifth straight singles victory.
Houston will get a chance to rebound, as it returns home to take on No. 25 DePaul, next Sunday at 11:00 a.m. CT out at the Houston Country Club.
No. 50 Harvard 4, No. 27 Houston 3
- #92 Despoina Vogasari (HOU) def. Spencer Liang (HARVARD) 6-2, 6-0
- Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Monica Lin (HARVARD) 6-2, 7-6 (3-0)
- Tina Rupert (HOU) def. June Lee (HARVARD) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
- Amy He (HARVARD) def. Maria Cardenas (HOU) 6-0, 6-4
- Hannah Morrill (HARVARD) def. Charlotte Phillips (HOU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Amanda Lin (HARVARD) def. Rocio Martin (HOU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,2,4,6,5*,3
- Despoina Vogasari/Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Monica Lin/Hannah Morrill (HARVARD) 8-5
- Spencer Liang/June Lee (HARVARD) def. Maria Cardenas/Tina Rupert (HOU) 8-7 (5-0)
- Amanda Lin/Amy He (HARVARD) def. Rocio Martin/Charlotte Phillips (HOU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,2,1