Dionne Sanders improved to 11-7 and 4-0 at the No. 5 singles position on Saturday
April 6, 2013
TULSA, Okla. - A short-handed University of Houston women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to Louisville on Saturday at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa. Houston fell to 12-8 overall this season while the Cardinals improved to 14-10 on the spring.
"All the credit goes to a tough Louisville team for coming out strong in doubles and setting the tone for the rest of the match," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "With Celia (Fraser) out, Charlotte (Phillips) and Dionne (Sanders) really stepped up, but we had a couple of spots where we were just no match for them. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but these are the matches we need to play to get to the next level. We are far from a finished product, but we continue to improve every match and are excited about the opportunity to play another top-25 team tomorrow."
Louisville took a quick 1-0 lead in the match, opening the doubles round with convincing wins at the top two positions.
After moving to the No. 3 singles spot for the first time this season, senior Maja Kazimieruk saw her six-game winning streak snapped by Manuela Velasquez by a score of 6-0, 6-2, suffering just her third loss of the spring.
The Cardinals claimed another victory at the No. 6 position before Charlotte Phillips put the Cougars on the board with a convincing 6-1, 6-4 defeat of Stefanie Villajuan at the No. 4 spot to improve to 11-7 in dual play.
Louisville's Rebecca Shine clinched the match for the Cardinals with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Rocio Martin Fernandez at the No. 2 position before Dionne Sanders rounded out the scoring for Houston by outlasting Mandy Brown, 4-6, 6-4, 10-6 to improve to 10-6 on the spring and 4-0 at the No. 5 spot.
The Cougars will face their fourth ranked opponent of the season when they meet No. 25 Tulsa at 11 a.m., on Sunday.
Louisville 5, Houston 2
1. Fellerhoff/Shine (UL) def. Martin Fernandez/Phillips (UH), 8-0
2. Bodine/Villajuan (UL) def. Garvey/Kordolaimi (UH), 8-2
3. Velasquez/Brown (UL) def. Kazimieruk/Sanders (UH), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,2*,3
1. Julia Fellerhoff (UL) def. Elena Kordolaimi (UH), 6-7(4), 6-3, 10-5
2. Rebecca Shine (UL) def. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH), 6-3, 6-4
3. Manuela Velasquez (UL) def. Maja Kazimieruk (UH), 6-0, 6-2
4. Charlotte Phillips (UH) def. Stefanie Villajuan (UL), 6-1, 6-4
5. Dionne Sanders (UH) def. Mandy Brown (UL), 4-6, 6-4, 10-6
6. Rebecca Bodine (UL) def. Jo Garvey (UH), 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3,6,4,2*,1,5