April 7, 2013
TULSA, Okla. - The University of Houston women's tennis team wrapped up the regular-season road slate with a 7-0 loss at No. 25 Tulsa on Sunday at Michael D. Case Tennis Center. The Cougars, who have faced three nationally-ranked teams in the past four matches, dropped to 12-9 overall this season while the Golden Hurricane improved to 15-5 on the spring.
"Tulsa has been the top program in the conference over the last decade and today was business as usual for them," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "Despite the score, we actually competed much better today than yesterday. I was an assistant at Arkansas and SMU when we were building those top-25 programs from the ground up and Coach Orford was doing the same at Tulsa and have now been both on the giving and receiving end of a lot of these matches against them. Great teams are not built overnight. The first step is the hardest part and that is in now in our rearview mirror."
Tulsa jumped out to an early 1-0 advantage in the match when the Golden Hurricane duo of Sant'Anna and Kuricova posted an 8-3 victory over Houston's Gabriella Jansson and Dionne Sanders and the nation's 19th-ranked tandem of Vickers and Enrique edged Rocio Martin Fernandez and Charlotte Phillips by a score of 8-5 at the top spot.
The Golden Hurricane posted straight-sets victories at all singles spots to seal the shutout win as the Cougars were without junior Celia Fraser in the lineup for the second match in a row and senior Maja Kazimieruk was given the afternoon off.
The Cougars will host the 2013 Conference USA Women's Tennis Championship at John E. Hoff Courts on April 18-21.
#25 Tulsa 7, Houston 0
1. #22 Samantha Vickers (TLS) def. Elena Kordolaimi (UH) 6-2, 6-3
2. Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. Rocio Martin Fernand (UH) 6-2, 6-3
3. Saana Saarteinen (TLS) def. Charlotte Phillips (UH) 6-0, 6-0
4. Michelle Farley (TLS) def. Dionne Sanders (UH) 6-4, 6-0
5. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) def. Jo Garvey (UH) 6-1, 6-1
6. Carol Benito (TLS) def. Gabriella Jansson (UH) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5,6,3*,4,1,2
1. #19 Vickers/Enrique (TLS) def. Martin Fernandez/Phillips (UH) 8-5
2. Saarteinen/Farley (TLS) def. Garvey/Kordolaimi (UH) 8-4
3. Sant'Anna/Kuricova (TLS) def. Jansson/Sanders (UH) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,1*,2