April 13, 2012
RUSTON, La. - The University of Houston women's tennis team rode its recent wave of momentum to a dominating 6-1 victory over Louisiana Tech on Friday evening at the Lady Techster Tennis Complex.
The Cougars claimed their sixth victory in the past seven matches to improve to 12-7 this spring. Houston has outscored its opponents by a 36-6 margin in the last six wins.
"This was a good win for us on the road against a quality opponent," head coach John Severance said. "We need to keep this momentum going over the next two road matches and into the conference tournament."
The Cougars set the tone early against Louisiana Tech (12-6), sweeping the Lady Techsters in doubles play to jump out to an early 1-0 advantage.
Bryony Hunter and Charlotte Phillips joined forces for the first time this season to knock off Alena Erofeyeva and Laura Fernandez at the No 3 position by a score of 8-5, while Giorgia Pozzan and Celia Fraser improved to 5-1 this spring with an 8-3 rout at the top spot over Elne Barnard and Anna Zurek to clinch the point.
Koenen put the Cougars on the board first in singles action with a 7-5, 6-2 defeat of Barnard at the No. 3 spot and Maja Kazimieruk followed with a 7-6, 6-1 victory over Zurek to improve to 13-4 overall and push the Cougars to a 3-0 lead over the Lady Techsters.
Ring claimed her third-straight win at the No. 6 position with a 6-3, 6-1 rout of de Witt to seal the match for the Cougars and Pozzan and Fraser rounded out the scoring with wins at the top two spots for their 14th and 11th wins of the spring, respectively.
The Cougars will look to stretch their winning streak to four matches against Grambling State at 11 a.m., Saturday in Ruston, La.
Houston 6, Louisiana Tech 1
1. Pozzan/Fraser (UH) def. Barnard/Zurek (LT), 8-3
2. Koenen/Ring (UH) def. ten Dolle/de Wit (LT), 8-4
3. Hunter/Phillips (UH) def. Erofeyeva/Fernandez (LT), 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,1*,2
1. Giorgia Pozzan (UH) def. Vivian ten Dolle (LT), 6-4, 6-4
2. Celia Fraser (UH) def. Laura Fernandez (LT), 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
3. Liselot Koenen (UH) def. Elne Barnard (LT), 7-5, 6-2
4. Alena Erofeyeva (LT) def. Charlotte Phillips (UH), 6-0, 1-6, 6-1
5. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Anna Zurek (LT), 7-6, 6-1
6. Laura Ring (UH) def. Maartje de Wit (LT), 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3,5,6*,4,2,1