Elena Kordolaimi won 11 of the final 12 games to rally for a win against Marshall
April 18, 2013
HOUSTON - The University of Houston women's tennis team fell just short in a 4-3 loss to seventh-seeded Marshall on Thursday afternoon in the opening round of the 2013 Conference USA Championship. The Cougars ended the season with a 13-11 overall record, marking the 11th-consecutive winning season for the program.
The Cougars rallied back in singles play to force a doubles portion for the deciding point before rain forced the two teams to move indoors at the Galleria Tennis and Athletic Club, where Marshall pulled away with the win.
"This isn't the way we wanted the season to end but I'm proud of the fight we showed today against a good Marshall team," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "I'm looking forward to turning the page to next season and incredibly excited about our bright future."
Freshman Rocio Martin Fernandez quickly put Houston on the board first with a 6-1, 6-0 rout of Maria Voscekova at the No. 3 position to improve to 14-8 in dual play this season.
The Cougars would drop the next two matches, including Maja Kazimieruk's first home loss of the season, as the senior ended her stellar season with an 18-4 record.
As Houston trailed 2-1 in the match, sophomore Elena Kordolaimi fell behind 5-2 in the second set after dropping the first, but rallied back to claim five-straight games to force a third, where she won 6-1, winning 11 of the final 12 games.
Marshall regained a 3-2 advantage when Dana Oppinger won a marathon three-set match against junior Celia Fraser, turning the attention to court six where junior Dionne Sanders prevailed over Karlyn Timko in a three-set tiebreaker by a score of 6-4, 4-6, 7-6(4) to force the doubles round.
No. 7 Marshall 4, No. 10 Houston 3
1. Zaprazna/Kucin (MAR) def. Martin Fernandez/Phillps (UH), 8-4
2. Voscekova/Ball (MAR) vs. Kordolaimi/Garvey (UH), 7-6, unf.
3. Timko/Oppinger (MAR) def. Kazimieruk/Fraser (UH), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,3*
1. Elena Kordolaimi (UH) def. Dominika Zaprazna (MAR), 2-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. Dana Oppinger (MAR) def. Celia Fraser (UH), 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
3. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Maria Voscekova (MAR), 6-1, 6-0
4. Ellie Ball (MAR) def. Maja Kazimieruk (UH), 6-3, 7-5
5. Kara Kucin (MAR) def. Charlotte Phillips (UH), 6-3, 6-1
6. Dionne Sanders (UH) def. Karlyn Timko (MAR), 6-4, 4-6, 7-6(4)
Order of Finish: 3,5,4,1,2,6