April 19, 2012
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The University of Houston women's tennis team kicked off the 2012 Conference USA Championship in impressive fashion, defeating Southern Miss by a score of 4-0 on Thursday afternoon at Dunavant-Wellford Tennis Center.
"We knew we had to be the more disciplined team today and we prevailed," head coach John Severance said. "It's good to see our two freshmen contribute two points in their first collegiate conference tournament."
With Thursday's win, the Cougars advance to take on third-seeded and 53rd-ranked Tulane at 2 p.m., on Friday in the quarterfinals.
"We'll have to fight and try and to win the crucial doubles point," Severance said. "Regardless, we have to play smart and be aggressive and we'll see what happens."
The Cougars improved to 14-7 on the season and claimed their eighth win in the past nine matches. In the eight victories, Houston has outscored its opponents by a 47-6 combined margin.
Liselot Koenen and Laura Ring suffered only their third loss of the season at the hands of Elja van Berlo and Alex Bradley before Houston's Maja Kazimieruk and Charlotte Phillips clinched the point with an 8-3 defeat of Moorea Williams and Mackenzie Oskin at the No. 3 position.
Pozzan carried the dominant play over to singles, quickly topping Alexus Coats at the top position by a score of 6-1, 6-3 to put the Cougars up 2-0 in the match and improve to 16-5 this season.
Phillips followed with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Williams at the No. 5 position and fellow freshman Koenen rallied to win the final six games of the second set for a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of Oskin at the No. 4 spot to clinch the win for the Cougars.
Fraser and Kazimieruk each claimed wins in the first set while Bryony Hunter held an early lead in the third set when the match was decided.
Fans can visit Tournament Central for live scoring of each match.
1. Pozzan/Fraser (UH) def. Askew/Lanier (USM), 8-1
2. van Berlo/Bradley (USM) def. Koenen/Ring (UH), 8-3
3. Kazimieruk/Phillips (UH) def. Williams/Oskin (USM), 8-3
Order of Finish: 1,2,3*
1. Giorgia Pozzan (UH) def. Alexus Coats (USM), 6-1, 6-3
2. Celia Fraser (UH) vs. Elja van Berlo (USM), 6-4, 2-3, unf.
3. Bryony Hunter (UH) vs. Kate Lanier (USM), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0, unf.
4. Liselot Koenen (UH) def. Mackenzie Oskin (USM), 6-3 6-3
5. Charlotte Phillips (UH) def. Moorea Williams (USM), 6-3, 6-1
6. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) vs. Alex Bradley (USM), 6-4, 3-5, unf.
Order of Finish: 1,5,4*