Elena Kordolaimi and Despoina Vogasari
May 9, 2014
COLLEGE STATION, Texas--- The Cougars gave it all they had, but in the end No. 23 Texas earned a 5-0 win over Houston in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament, Friday afternoon out at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center.
For the Cougars (21-6), the loss puts an end to one of the best seasons in school history, in which UH managed to win its most matches since the 2006 season and qualify for postseason play for the first time since 1998.
"I thought we battled well," said head coach Patrick Sullivan. "We've worked super hard on our doubles the past two weeks to get some things right. I was pleased with the way we started off the match. We were really competitive in the doubles and we were focused in singles. I was extremely proud of our effort today."
Houston showed up ready to play right from the very beginning, as it gave the Longhorns all they could handle in doubles play. Maria Cardenas and Tina Rupert took control early on court two, jumping out to a 3-1 advantage, but unfortunately Texas' tandem of Juliana Gajic and Lina Padegimaite took down Houston's Rocio Martin and Charlotte Phillips on court three. UT's Breaunna Addison and Elizabeth Begley then defeated Despoina Vogasari and Elena Kordolaimi on court one, 8-3, as Texas took the doubles point and the 1-0 lead.
Vogasari the No. 12 player in the country a competitive battle in singles play, but UT's Addison managed to squeak out a 6-3, 6-4 victory on court one to sport Texas a 2-0 advantage.
Senior Celia Fraser hung tough on court five, as she rallied from a 5-1 second set deficit to eventually tie things up at 6-6. But in the end, Texas' Pippa Horn hung on to win 6-1, 7-6 to put Houston in a 3-0 hole.
Despite the score, the Cougars fought to the very the end, as Cardenas did her best to keep UH alive on court four, at one point holding a 4-2 advantage in set two, before UT's Neda Koprcina pulled off a hard-fought a 6-1, 7-6 victory to clinch the match for Texas.
Martin fell on court six, 6-4, 6-2 almost simultaneously to bring the final to 5-0.
No. 23 Texas 5, No. 34 Houston 0
- Breaunna Addison (TEXAS) def. Despoina Vogasari (HOU) 6-3, 6-4
- Elizabeth Begley (TEXAS) vs. Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) 7-5, 4-0, unfinished
- Ratnika Batra (TEXAS) vs. Tina Rupert (HOU) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
- Neda Koprcina (TEXAS) def. Maria Cardenas (HOU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
- Pippa Horn (TEXAS) def. Celia Fraser (HOU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-1)
- 6. Lina Padegimaite (TEXAS) def. Rocio Martin (HOU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,5,4*,6
- Breaunna Addison/Elizabeth Begley (TEXAS) def. Elena Kordolaimi/Despoina Vogasari (HOU) 8-3
- Ratnika Batra/Neda Koprcina (TEXAS) vs. Maria Cardenas/Tina Rupert (HOU) 6-4, unfinished
- Juliana Gajic/Lina Padegimaite (TEXAS) def. Rocio Martin/Charlotte Phillips (HOU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3,1