HOUSTON, TEXAS - The University of Houston women's tennis team won four out of six singles matches to beat Tulane, 4-3 Sunday morning at the UH Varsity Courts. The win snaps a three match losing streak, moving the Cougars to 1-1 in conference play and 4-9 overall.
In doubles, the number two duo of Annie Rapp and Jen Baccarani got things started for Houston when they defeated Anya Monhartova and Annela Axsater 8-4, but Tulane would hold on to win the doubles point claiming victories at number one and three.
At the number one singles spot, junior Sarah Borwell led the Houston attack downing the No. 19 ranked Monhartova in straight sets, 6-3, 7-6. Borwell, who returned to action after sitting out the previous match against Kansas, is now 10-2 in singles competition.
Cougar netter Baccarani made short work of her opponent at the number three position beating Joyce Bergman in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Newcomers Sarah Flood and Joanne Keen also grabbed matches for UH ousting Annela Axsater 1-6, 7-5, 6-4 and Maiko Cook 6-1, 2-6, 6-0.
Houston is next back in action on Wednesday, March 28 as they play host to Tulsa. Match time is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. at the UH Varsity Courts.
1. Sarah Borwell (UH) d. Anya Monhartova (TU) 6-3, 7-6
2. Julie Morris (TU) d. Karine Urbin (UH) 6-1, 6-0
3. Jen Baccarani (UH) d. Joyce Bergman (TU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Sarah Flood (UH) d. Annela Axsater (UH) 1-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Joanne Keen (UH) d. Maiko Cook (TU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Olga Mikhailova (TU) d. Annie Rapp (UH) 6-2, 6-2
1. Morris/Bergman (TU) d. Urbin/Flood (UH) 8-3
2. Rapp/Baccarani (UH) d. Monhartova/ Axsater (TU) 8-4
Wood/Mikhailova (TU) winners by default