ARLINGTON, Texas -- The University of Houston Volleyball program picked up its first win of the 2017 campaign behind a 3-0 (25-13, 25-20, 25-20) sweep of Southern on Saturday afternoon inside College Park Center as part of the UTA Invitational.
With the decision, the Cougars improve to 1-1 on the young season, while the Lady Jaguars fall to 0-2.
Houston will play one more match in the tournament, facing off with the host Mavericks in the 7 p.m. finale.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a slow start found the Cougars trailing 9-7, the offense caught fire and outscored Southern 18-4 the rest of way to claim their first opening-set victory of the season, 25-13.
The Cougars turned in a match-high .391 attack percentage, highlighted by three kills apiece from outside hitters Sarah Afflerbaugh and Gabi Zelaya. Afferbaugh was perfect in the set, registering a 1.000 clip on three swings.
Down 5-3 early in the second set, a kill from senior middle blocker Brianna Gardner was quickly followed by back-to-back service aces from junior setter Katie Krebs to give Houston a 6-3 edge. The Cougars never trailed the rest of the way en route to a 25-20 win to take a 2-0 lead into the break.
Both teams traded points early on in the third set. Tied 8-8, a Gardner kill sparked a 4-0 surge to give Houston back the lead. The Cougars went on to lead by as much as seven points before picking up another 25-20 victory to close the match in straight sets.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Krebs recorded a career-high five service aces. Her five aces tied Amanda Carson (vs. UALR – Sept. 19, 2008) and Hannah Sullivan (at UCF Sept. 21, 2007) for second all-time in program history for a three-set match.
• Houston turned in a .272 attack percentage while holding Southern to a negative .013 clip.
• Senior outside hitter Brianna Lynch led all with 11 kills, while Afflerbaugh and Zelaya recorded eight and six kills, respectively. Lynch has led all players in kills through Houston’s first two matches.
• Setters Abby Irvine and Krebs each finished with double-figure assists. Irvine registered 22 assists, while Krebs totaled 13.
• Defensively, sophomore libero Katie Karbo recorded a team-high nine digs.
• The Cougars recorded three blocks as a team.
The Houston Athletics Ticket Office is once again proud to offer the Shasta Pass for the 2017-18 season. For just $80, Cougar fans can purchase one Shasta Pass, which allows season-long general admission entrance to all Houston Volleyball, Soccer, Women's Basketball and Softball home games.
The Shasta Pass offers Houston fans a substantial saving as single-game tickets start at $5 for all four sports. To purchase a Shasta Pass, call 713-GO-COOGS or Click Here.
JOIN POINT HOUSTON CLUB
Fans can help support the Houston Volleyball program by joining the Point HOUSTON Club. To find out more information about the Point HOUSTON Club, visit UHCougars.com or call Cougar Pride at (713) 743-GOUH.