HOUSTON, Texas -- The University of Houston Volleyball program fell 3-2 (25-19, 23-25, 25-22, 20-25, 9-15) to McNeese as part of the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup on Friday night inside Athletics/Alumni Center.
With the decision, the Cougars fall to 2-3 on the season, while the Cowgirls improve to 5-4.
Houston closes out its participation in its host tournament with one match on Saturday. The Cougars will face off with Mississippi State in the tournament finale at 12:30 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Senior outside hitter Sarah Afflerbaugh got the Cougars going early with back-to-back service aces to claim a 3-2 edge. After trading points to get to 5-5, Afflerbaugh recorded four kills to highlight a 12-3 run that put the team up 17-8. Houston’s lead never wavered the rest of the way en route to a 25-19 victory.
Both teams battled back and forth in the second set. Trading leads four times and pulling even on nine points, the Cougars and McNeese sat knotted at 15-15 before a kill from Cowgirls reclaimed the edge. McNeese held off several Houston rallies down the stretch to claim a 25-23 edge and even the match at one set apiece at intermission.
Senior outside hitter Brianna Lynch (5), Afflerbaugh (4), redshirt junior middle blocker Chenelle Walker (4) and senior middle blocker Brianna Gardner (3) combined for 16 kills to carry the Cougars to a 25-22 win in the third set.
However, the Cowgirls once again responded with a win in the following set, this time a 25-20 victory to extend the match.
In the fifth set, McNeese held the Cougars to a negative .074 attack percentage to claim a 15-9 set win and 3-2 overall victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Lynch recorded a career-high 19 kills, her fifth time to lead Houston in kills in as many matches. She also issued a career-high five blocks (one solo, four assisted).
• Afflerbaugh recorded her second double-double of the season behind a 11-kill, 15-dig efforts. Her 15 digs were also a season high.
• Setters Abby Irvine and Katie Krebs each netted double-doubles, respectfully. Irvine netted a match-high 28 assists to go along with 11 digs, also the first double-figure dig performance of her career, while Krebs amassed a season-high 21 assists and career-high 11 digs.
• Senior middle blocker Brianna Gardner registered 11 kills, four blocks (two solo, two assisted) and two service aces.
• Defensively, sophomore libero Katie Karbo recorded a team-best 32 digs and tied her career high with three service aces.
• The Cougars recorded 10 blocks as a team.
• McNeese outhit Houston, .174-.111.
1. McNeese, 2-0 (Sets: 6-2)
2. Houston, 1-1 (Sets: 5-4)
Mississippi State, 1-1 (Sets: 3-4)
4. Stetson, 0-2 (Sets: 2-6)
The Houston Athletics Ticket Office is once again proud to offer the Shasta Pass for the 2017-18 season. For just $80, Cougar fans can purchase one Shasta Pass, which allows season-long general admission entrance to all Houston Volleyball, Soccer, Women's Basketball and Softball home games.
The Shasta Pass offers Houston fans a substantial saving as single-game tickets start at $5 for all four sports. To purchase a Shasta Pass, call 713-GO-COOGS or Click Here.
JOIN POINT HOUSTON CLUB
Fans can help support the Houston Volleyball program by joining the Point HOUSTON Club. To find out more information about the Point HOUSTON Club, visit UHCougars.com or call Cougar Pride at (713) 743-GOUH.