HOUSTON -- The University of Houston Volleyball program fell 3-1 (23-25, 18-25, 25-22, 20-25) to Tulsa on Sunday afternoon inside Athletics/Alumni Center.
With the decision, the Cougars fall to 9-13 on the season and 5-9 in American Athletic Conference play, while the Golden Hurricane improves to 13-13 overall and 7-7 in league action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Tulsa hit a match-high .317 attack percentage in taking the opening set, 25-23. Trailing 23-17, Houston rallied with a 5-0 run to pull within one point at 23-22 before the Golden Hurricane closed it out.
In the second set, the Cougars jumped out to a 5-1 lead, highlighted by back-to-back service aces from senior middle blocker Brianna Gardner. However, Tulsa outscored Houston, 18-6, the rest of the way to take a 25-18 win and 2-0 lead into intermission.
Tied 7-7 in the early going of the third set, the Cougars went on an 11-4 run, capitalizing on five errors and getting service aces from sophomores Megan Duncan and Katie Karbo, to take an 18-11 advantage. The lead never faltered the rest of the way for a 25-22 triumph to extend the match.
Tied 19-19, the Golden Hurricane closed the fourth set on a 6-1 run to secure a 25-20 decision and 3-1 final.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Irvine recorded her team-leading ninth double-double of the season in a 29-assist, 16-dig effort.
• Senior outside hitter Brianna Lynch led Houston with 12 kills, her 11th time to lead the team on the season.
• Senior outside hitter Sarah Afflerbaugh finished with 11 digs, nine kills and tied her season high with three service aces.
• Duncan finished with nine kills and nine digs.
• Gardner finished with nine kills, three service aces and three blocks (all assisted).
• Defensively, Karbo finished with 19 digs, while redshirt freshman defensive specialist Kylie Napoleon tallied 11 digs.
• The Cougars recorded 10 service aces, their most in a conference match and tied for their second highest total overall in 2017.
• Tulsa outhit Houston, .234-.146.
The Cougars will continue play in The American with matches at USF on Nov. 10 and UCF on Nov. 12.
The Houston Athletics Ticket Office is once again proud to offer the Shasta Pass for the 2017-18 season. For just $80, Cougar fans can purchase one Shasta Pass, which allows season-long general admission entrance to all Houston Volleyball, Soccer, Women's Basketball and Softball home games.
The Shasta Pass offers Houston fans a substantial saving as single-game tickets start at $5 for all four sports. To purchase a Shasta Pass, call 713-GO-COOGS or Click Here.
JOIN POINT HOUSTON CLUB
Fans can help support the Houston Volleyball program by joining the Point HOUSTON Club. To find out more information about the Point HOUSTON Club, visit UHCougars.com or call Cougar Pride at (713) 743-GoUH.