NEW ORLEANS -- The University of Houston Volleyball team defeated Tulane, 3-2 (19-25, 25-19, 25-20, 19-25, 15-12), on Friday afternoon inside Devlin Fieldhouse.
With the win, the Cougars close the 2017 season with a 12-16 overall record and 8-12 mark in American Athletic Conference play, while the Green Wave finishes 14-19 overall and 3-17 in league action.
The victory marked the final match for five Houston players – setter Keandra McCardell, outside hitters Sarah Afflerbaugh and Brianna Lynch, middle blocker Brianna Lynch and defensive specialist Kendall Montgomery.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After trading points through the early goings of the opening set, Tulane broke a 9-9 with a kill and edged Houston the rest of the way for a 25-19 win.
In the second set, the Cougars jumped out to a 4-1 lead, capped by an ace from sophomore libero Katie Karbo. However, the Green Wave rallied to tie the match at 10-10. Still tied 13-13, Gardner gave Houston back the edge with a kill, and this time it was the Cougars who edged Tulane down the stretch for a 25-19 win to even the match at one set apiece at intermission.
Houston never trailed en route to a 25-20 win in the third set to take a 2-1 lead.
The Green Wave hit a match-high .410 attack percentage in the fourth set to again claim a 25-19 win and extend the match.
In the fifth set, the Cougars led 7-5 at the turn before Tulane rallied to even things at 8-8. Gardner once again gave Houston back the edge with a kill, opening a 3-0 run, as the Cougars held on for a 15-12 win to seal the 3-2 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Freshman setter Abby Irvine recorded her team-leading 11th double-double of the season in a 25-assist, 15-dig effort.
• Afflerbaugh recorded her eighth double-double of the season and 15th overall of her career in a 14-kill, 12-dig effort. Afflerbaugh’s 14 kills marked her fourth time to lead the team on the season.
• McCardell recorded her fourth double-double of the season and 33rd overall of her career in a 18-assist, 13-dig effort.
• Freshman outside hitter Silvia Pertens finished with 11 kills.
• Gardner finished with 10 kills, six blocks (three solo, three assisted) and two aces, coming on consecutive serves in the fourth set.
• Lynch finished with nine kills, while redshirt junior middle blocker Chenelle Walker tallied six blocks (two solo, four assisted).
• Sophomore libero Katie Karbo finished with 22 digs, eight assists and one service ace.
• Redshirt freshman defensive specialist Kylie Napoleon recorded 14 digs, two assists and one service ace.
• Houston outhit Tulane, .230-.217.
The Houston Athletics Ticket Office is once again proud to offer the Shasta Pass for the 2017-18 season. For just $80, Cougar fans can purchase one Shasta Pass, which allows season-long general admission entrance to all Houston Volleyball, Soccer, Women's Basketball and Softball home games.
The Shasta Pass offers Houston fans a substantial saving as single-game tickets start at $5 for all four sports. To purchase a Shasta Pass, call 713-GO-COOGS or Click Here.
JOIN POINT HOUSTON CLUB
Fans can help support the Houston Volleyball program by joining the Point HOUSTON Club. To find out more information about the Point HOUSTON Club, visit UHCougars.com or call Cougar Pride at (713) 743-GoUH.