March 21, 2014
HOUSTON – The University of Houston Volleyball offers young volleyball enthusiasts a great way to have fun and improve their skills as Head Coach Kaddie Platt announced the 2014 summer camp schedule Friday morning.
Houston Volleyball is set to host three summer camps during the month of July as well as a coaching clinic on campus at the Athletics/Alumni Center including an all-skills camp, position-specific camps and an advanced camp for the older athletes.
ALL SKILLS CAMP | July 14-15
- Residential Cost: $250 (Includes all meals)
- Commuter Cost: $175
- Commuter Meal Plan: $20 (Includes 1 Dinner, 1 Lunch)
- Age Recommendation: Entering grade 4 or higher (Residential campers must be entering grade 6 or higher)
The All Skills Camp is specially designed to meet the needs of athletes entering grades 4-12. This camp focuses on all aspects of the game with the emphasis on fundamentals. Skill development is emphasized during hours of on-court instruction in the following areas: serving, serve receiving, forearm passing, setting, attacking, team defense, blocking, team reception, attack coverage and team transition. Campers are skill-tested placed in a group of similar age and ability. Overnight campers will be housed in Cougar Village and provided all meals. A meal plan is available for purchase for commuter campers.
ADVANCED CAMP | July 18-19
- Residential Cost: $395 (Includes all meals)
- Commuter Cost: $315
- Commuter Meal Plan: $30 (Includes 2 Lunch, 1 Dinner)
- Age Recommendation: Entering grade 9 or higher
The Advanced Camp is specially designed to meet the needs of athletes entering grades 9-12. This camp offers a high level of training and increased individual playing time for athletes. Refining technique and exposure to the tactical aspects of the game is the key to this intense volleyball environment. This camp is ideal for the experienced volleyball player striving to be the best. Campers are placed in a group of similar age and ability. Overnight campers will be housed in Cougar Village and provided all meals. A meal plan is available for purchase for commuter campers.
POSITIONAL TRAINING CAMP | July 16, 17, 21, 22, 23
- Cost per session: $50-75
- Age Recommendation: Entering grade 6 or higher
The Positional Training is specially designed to meet the needs of athletes entering grades 4-12. There will also be an information session on the qualities needed to be the best in your position.
Hitter Camp focuses on all aspects of the position including hand contact, arm swing, footwork and approach patterns and scoring mindset training.
Setter Camp focuses on all aspects of the position including hand position, multiple footwork techniques, defense, transition and offensive and setting strategies.
Libero Camp focuses on all aspects of the position including multiple passing and defensive techniques.
Serving Camp focuses on all aspects of the position including hand contact, toss, routine, and multiple serves: standing float, jump float and jump top-spin. Serving is an important aspect of the game for all positions.
July 16 - Session 1 Hitter Camp $75 - 9 a.m.-Noon | Session 2 Serving Camp $50 - 1-3 p.m.
July 17 - Session 3 Libero Camp $75 - 9 a.m.-Noon | Session 4 Serving Camp $50 - 1-3 p.m.
July 21 - Session 5 Hitter Camp $75 - 9 a.m.-Noon | Session 6 Serving Camp $50 - 1-3 p.m.
July 22 - Session 7 Setter Camp $75 - 9 a.m.-Noon | Session 8 Serving Camp $50 - 1-3 p.m.
July 23 - Session 9 Libero Camp $75 - 9 a.m.-Noon | Session 10 Serving Camp $50 - 1-3 p.m.
GMS COACHING CLINIC | July 11-13 | 8:30AM -6:30PM
Gold Medal Squared Coaching Foundations Volleyball Clinic introduces the basic principles that we use throughout our development as coaches. Whether you're an experienced coach, or just getting started, attending this clinic will provide you with the foundation needed to build a lasting and successful volleyball program.
Below you will find an outline of the primary topics discussed during the Gold Medal Squared Coaching Foundations Volleyball Clinic.
- A foundation for teaching the essential volleyball skills based on scientific research in human motor performance.
- How to teach the fundamentals of the game so that your players become mechanically efficient. This includes passing, serving, spiking, individual defense, setting, and blocking.
- How to create offensive and defensive strategies that capitalize on your team's strengths and your opponent's weaknesses.
- How to run and score small group activities, position tournaments, and six on six drills.
- How to develop a measurement system that lets your athletes know where they stand relative to your goals for them and others on the team.
- How to coach to win at any level.
For more information or to see a typical GMS Coaching Foundation Clinic agenda follow the link below. There you will also be able to register for the coaching clinic.
For information specific to the GMS coaching clinic at the University of Houston and to register.
Follow Houston Volleyball on Twitter @UHCougarVB and “Like” /HoustonCougarVolleyball on Facebook. Houston Volleyball is now on Instagram as well, UHCougarVB.