Sept. 12, 2013
|Houston at TCU Nike/Molten Invitational
|| Fort Worth, Texas.
|| University Rec Center
| Match Times
|| Friday, Sept. 13
vs. Grambling State - 2 p.m. | GameTracker
at TCU - 7:30 p.m. | GameTracker
Saturday, Sept. 14
vs. Ole Miss - Noon | GameTracker
vs. SFA - 5 p.m. | GameTracker
| Game Notes
|| Houston Notes
| Season Stats
|| Season Stats
| Social Media
HOUSTON - As a last preparation for the season home opener, the University of Houston volleyball team heads to Fort Worth, Texas, for the TCU Nike/Molten Invitational Friday and Saturday.
The Cougars kick off round robin play with a match against Grambling State at 2 p.m. Friday. This match will mark the first meeting between the two teams. The Tigers are off to a 2-5 start, defeating Alcorn State Sept. 10 in a five-game match.
Houston faces host TCU at 7:30 p.m. to wrap up day one of the tournament. The Cougars lead the all-time series against the Horned Frogs 7-2. TCU, currently 3-3 on the season swept Houston in the teams last meeting in 2010.
On Saturday, Ole Miss opposes Houston at noon. The Rebels are 4-2 for the 2013 season and have only defeated the Cougars in one of the six matches played. In 2005, Houston defeated Ole Miss in four sets.
Closing out the tournament, the team plays SFA at 5 p.m. The LadyJacks have started out the 2013 season with six wins and two loses, coming from decisive fifth set matches against George Washington University and Central Florida. Houston leads the all time series 16-4, dropping a 3-0 sweep in 2009 to the LadyJacks.
HOUSTON QUICK FACTS
- Freshman Sarita Mikals led the team recording her first collegiate double double (17 kills, 13 digs) in a five-set match against Texas Southern.
- Setter Sophie Paine recorded a season high of 57 assists, the first for a Cougar to record 50 or more since Abby Simmons last season against Appalachian State.
- Houston's match against Alcorn State during the Sawyer Camillo Memorial Volleyball Tournament marked the shortest match of the season for the Cougars when they swept the Braves in 54 minutes.
- The Cougars held Alcorn State to a -.047 hitting percentage, the first opponent with a negative average against Houston since the two last faced each other in 2009 (-.133) at the LadyJack Invitational hosted by Stephen F. Austin.
- As a team, the Cougars blocked out Nicholls State Saturday morning with a season best 11.0 total team blocks in another three game sweep.
- Mikals and Paine recorded double doubles in the tournament finale against host University of Louisiana-Lafayette. Mikals hit 22 kills, a season best, and 10 digs while Paine notched 49 assists and 13 digs in the 4-1 Victory over Louisiana.
- The last time Houston had two players with double doubles in the same match was last season in the 3-1 win over Tulane (Oct. 5). Katie Norris recorded 24 kills and 11 digs while Abby Simmons had 46 assists and 18 digs.
ON A HOT STREAK
The Cougars stretch their win streak to four, the longest winning streak in the Kaddie Platt era. Houston's longest win streak is 17 win coming in the 1994 season under Bill Walton. That same team reached the elite eight.
NO PLACE LIKE HOME...
The Cougars return home next weekend for the season home opener as they host the second annual Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup. Regional competition like Baylor, North Texas and LSU are scheduled to attend the tournament. These teams will add to Houston's strong schedule for conference play preparation.
Follow Houston Volleyball on Twitter @UHCougarVB and "Like" /HoustonCougarVolleyball on Facebook. Houston Volleyball is now on Istagram as well, UHCougarVB.
SEASON TICKETS ON SALE NOW
Fans can now purchase Houston Volleyball Season Tickets for just $50. To take advantage of this offer, CLICK HERE or call 713-GO-COOGS today!